However, if your guests aren’t posh, high-maintenance or British, perhaps you won’t need to worry about these details. Perhaps your guests will be impressed with the mere idea of drinking tea.
In either case, hosting an apolitical tea party can be intimidating. To lessen the stress, here are twelve simple essentials:
1. Chunky jam
– and scones, of course.
2. Unique plates.
3. Bite-sized sandwiches and baked goods
– so everyone can eat more.
4. An elegant tiered platter
– instant class.
5. Spreads that include the word ‘cream’
– mascarpone cream, clotted cream, crème fraiche, cream cheese frosting…
6. A long table
– the ‘high’ part of ‘high tea’.
(‘Low tea’ is served on lounge tables.)
7. Appropriate silverware.
8. The presence of chocolate.
9. Extra bowls for wet tea bags.
10. Pure honey
– for the sweet-teeth.
11. Good friends.
12. The right tea