In honor of Guy Fawkes Night [Nov. 5], here is a list of casual observations made of what people chose to burn in bonfires.
Besides wood, paper and twiggy little matches, that is.
‘The extras’, if you will:
1. Crusty old furniture – a subtle parody on before and after refurbishment.
2. Disposable cups and plates from the nearby lukewarm hot chocolate table.
3. Candy wrappers – let’s admit it and feel ashamed.
4. Unwanted letters from the government and/or ex-lovers
(The similarities are striking now in hindsight.)
5. Scandalous books that may eventually become extravagantly popular.
6. Gasoline and other testosterone-supported fire starters.
7. Fireworks, arguably also connected with testosterone.
8. Tattered toys and other objects that lend themselves well to children’s fiction.