If you buy groceries in Europe and forget to bring your own reusable bags, the cashier may charge you extra. Ideally, this fine will help you remember to bring your bags next time, but after months of experience and observation, I’ve found that the best reminder is not necessarily financial punishment. All you really need are fantastically awesome grocery bags—a level of coolness you wouldn’t dare to forget.
Über-cool reusable bags are the key to grocery shopping success. If you don’t have any yet, check out these fifteen unforgettable candidates:
1. A single sheep
- a personal favorite.
2. Forty-six plastic bags in one
- the magic of crochet.
3. Made from antique Hungarian linen, 100-yrs old
- in case anyone asks.
4. To show off your fondness for Asian advertisements.
5. With the ambiance and ‘je ne sais quoi’ of French.
6. Upcycled military canvas
- to make buying baguettes and wine seem more rugged.
7. When you are exceptionally proud of your pets
- in this case, your rabbits:
8. Coffee sack bags
- as clever as coffee sack pillows.
9. Demonstrates your ability to make intelligent consumer decisions.
10. A bag that rolls up neatly
- so you can unroll it with flair at the cashier.
11. Your favorite meal of the day.
12. An upcycled flour sack
- for the novelty of placing bread or flour into your flour bag.
13. When doubtful, choose red
- and large.
14. Small fruit and vegetable bags
- so you can save two sacks instead of one.
15. A grocery bag that makes you happy
- for whatever reason.