Some cities are so weird, you end up loving them simply because of their strangeness. Seattle’s a bit like that. It’s difficult to capture its quirky culture in photos, but here’s an attempt. You could recognize Seattle with:
1. The Space Needle
– and Mount Rainier as a tastefully-distant backdrop.
2. The downtown musicians
– and their adoring hippie fans.
3. Seasonal docks
– summer = packed, winter = empty.
4. The Seattle Public Library
– one of ten awesome libraries.
5. The University of Washington library
– two of ten awesome libraries.
6. The unbeatable smell of cold, salty air
– and cold, fresh rain.
7. The city’s peculiar history
– summarized eloquently during a dusty tour of the underground.
8. A ship-wrecked parking garage
– yet more evidence of that peculiar history.
9. Decidedly more imposing views of Mount Rainier.
10. All the people who say they live ‘across the Sound’.
11. And their commute:
12. Incredible marine biology
– as shown through boat trips, aquarium visits, and tide-pooling in excess.
13. Incredible marine biology
– as shown through fish-throwing seafood markets.
– of course.