Paris is a difficult city for tourists to conquer; the famous sights, museums, shops, restaurants and gardens are seemingly endless. Even if you had enough time to do everything mentioned in a traveler’s guide, you still wouldn’t see everything.
You can’t capture Paris in one visit or summarize its mystique in a few pictures. But, for what its worth, here are fourteen ways to remember this fantastic city.
1. The memorable skyline
- celebrated by vintage postcards everywhere.
2. Art, food, fashion
- and any other topic tyrannized by connoisseurs.
3. Beautiful baked goods (like macarons) served with tiny cups of coffee
- appearance trumps everything.
4. The Eiffel Tower
- a sure place to find tourists, overpriced food, and immigrants selling key chains.
5. And long lines.
6. The classy metro signs.
7. Parisian dogs everywhere
- restaurants included.
8. Parks, fountains, and fashionably-dressed children.
9. The remarkable silence of early mornings
- Parisians evidently prefer the evening.
10. Accident-prone traffic circles
- most notably, the Arc de Triomphe: ‘the only place in Paris where the accidents are not judged. No matter what the circumstances, insurance companies split the costs fifty-fifty. In Paris, a good driver gets only scratches, not dents.’ [Rick Steves’ Europe]
11. The Champs-Élysées
- crowded at all times except in the early morning. (Of course.)
12. The surprising number of elderly people walking about
- the men play chess and pétanque in the park almost every day.
13. The Parisian pastime of people-watching
- with midday wine and/or coffee.
14. Kissing couples
- they’re as common as the dogs.